Software Engineer III
Looking for an opportunity to actually use the knowledge and problem-solving skills you spent years acquiring? Take a look at Catalina. We are seeking candidates to join the Catalina Digital/Innovation Software Engineering team. The Digital/Innovation team is building new ways to connect digital customers to our in-store customers. We build innovative new products that our Catalina Product Teams are envisioning.
We are seeking an experienced Software Engineer III that will actually spend the majority of their time designing and writing software! Have experience with agile methodologies but frustrated that they aren’t really followed? Take a second look at Catalina. We are in the middle of an agile transformation that is changing not only how we engineer software, but also the culture that we do it in. Self-managing teams, open workspaces, collaboration – you’ll get it all in this fast-paced environment where technology is not an afterthought but has been a key part of our strategic direction for 30+ years and we are just getting started. All that is missing is you!
If you really want your skills as a software engineer to be challenged, you’ll want to work on products that touch real consumers in the real world. You’ll get that on Catalina’s Digital/Innovation Software Engineering team, where you’ll be working on distributed, highly available cloud applications that interact with millions of consumers every day around the world to deliver personalized marketing content.
- Designing and developing key pieces of our technology stack such as Kafka, Java/Spring
- Monitoring, tuning, and fixing faults to improve performance and stability
- Performing various testing functions to ensure code quality and compatibility
- Providing expertise and direction in planning for future requirements, scalability, availability, and accuracy of customer defined feature and data requests.
- Resolving complex tasks, often the largest of User Stories
- Offering advice on Technical Debt and helping define User Stories to address.
- Applying exceptional problem-solving skills and using experience in developing creative solutions to complex problems.
- Contributing using your experience and OO languages to develop requirements into working software.
Required Technical Skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent technical degree or combination of experience and education commensurate with degree requirement.
- Minimum of 8 years of software engineering experience with a strong knowledge of J2EE technologies and OO design patterns
- Comfortable traversing the whole stack: client-side through the persistence layer
- Experience with In-Memory Caching, Queues, Protocols, SOLR, Avro, etc.
- Experience with terabytes of information on big data (hadoop, hbase, hive) for aggregation and rollup
- Experience in reliable distributed systems, with an emphasis on high-volume data management within enterprise and scalable products and platforms that operate under strict SLAs
- Experience in building both front-end and back-end services
- Experienced in complex Cloud features such as Customizations / Multi-Tenancy / High Availability / Disaster Recovery etc…
- Broad, strong technical knowledge which encompasses Software Development, Dev-Ops, Release automation
- Excellent coding skills, additional knowledge of Java, Python, NodeJS and other languages
- Knowledge and expertise in working with a variety of databases, operating systems & networking fundamentals, software design and programming best practices.
- Experience with large scale NoSQL/SQL large data stores, and streaming, multi-stage data pipelines and related technologies, e.g., Elastic Search, Cassandra, Spark, Kafka, or similar will be preferred
- Experience in building multi-tenant Cloud SaaS\SOA applications and services including RESTful API development
- Experience with development on container based micro-services cloud platforms, like Kubernetes.
- Experience in CI\CD tools
Required Non-Technical Skills
- A passion for building software and delivering technology for business
- Working knowledge of Agile software engineering processes
- Advertising and/or marketing tech experience will be hugely beneficial
- Scalable Microservice design experience
- Experienced with a variety of testing frameworks and automation tools (Puppet, Chef, Vagrant, Docker, Gauge, RSpec, Cucumber, Shoulda)
- Community developer presence (github, apache, open source projects)
- Strong technical aptitude with conceptual and logical understanding of full-stack web software architecture
- Experience assisting with the support escalations, and designing the product for supportability
- Excellent communication, inter-personal and teamwork skills
- Strong problem solving, troubleshooting and analysis skills
- Experience working in a geographically distributed team
- Experience leading and mentoring
- Ability to provide technical leadership and oversight of team members
- Attention to detail, precision
- Experience with junit test frameworks
- Experience working with and/or designing external APIs
- MongoDB (or other NoSQL database)
- Apache Kafka
- Experience in automation using Jenkins
- TDD/BDD expert Education/Certifications
- Apache Nifi, Azure, Histrix, Grafana
Catalina is a recognized leader in highly targeted, personalized digital media that drives, tracks and measures sales lift for leading CPG retailers and brands. Powered by the most extensive shopper database in the world, Catalina's mobile, online and in-store networks personalize the consumer's path to purchase, delivering $7.9 billion in relevant consumer value each year. Catalina has no higher priority than ensuring the privacy and security of the data entrusted to us and maintaining the consumer trust paramount to the continued success of our business partners and Catalina. Based in St. Petersburg, FL, Catalina has operations in the United States, Europe and Japan. To learn more, please visit www.catalina.com or follow us on Twitter @Catalina.
The intent of this job description is to describe the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be required to perform other job-related tasks other than those specifically included in this description.
All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subjected to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace.